Monday, November 24, 2008

For Ronaldo the ball is still a toy


Cristiano Ronaldo is on the verge of officially being named The Best Player in the World by France Football (Ballon d'Or) and FIFA (World Player of the Year). In a lengthy interview with Sports Illustrated he reveals how he continues to experience football with the joy of a boy:

"World Soccer: What do you think you would have done if you had not become a footballer? Did you have a "Plan B" as a child?

Ronaldo: That's a difficult question. My ambition, my focus, has always been on football. When I was 5, 6, 7, I always asked my mum for a football as a present. It was never a bike or computers or Game Boys. I never asked for any of that. It was always a football, just a football. So my ambition was always to be a professional footballer. This is why I think I am like that. I don't know what I will do in the future. My focus has always been football.

World Soccer: Is the ball still a toy? Or has it become a working tool?

Ronaldo: No -- it's still a toy!"

No comments: